Information about how to use the MV Chat (aka mobile / video chat with text only and audio only options!), issues, and suggestions.
Jump to: emoji words
You can enter the mv-chat as a guest, but some functions are limited. Questions about registering for the peeps section click here.
This system works different from our “original chat” or OC aka “the old chat” systems.
- the actions do not work in mv chat (/me or :does action)
- guests can not pm other users.. but they can reply to pms from registered users.
- pms open in a new tab near top of chat
- You can be in more than one room at the same time
- The are many more emotes / emoticons and several tabs to see more options
How to change your avatar / profile pic –
Reported by recent testers:
Preview…for youtube its great…other things not so much
Chat history – can not save the log at this time
Those that “create” rooms may not have the power to kick
Audio – some can’t hear at all – which browsers?
Actions? /me and : don’t work
We need some more testing, which browsers are an issue – what user levels can do what..
The webcam window is working! I finally saw a real live cam on the site ;) Squee!
- You might want to grab the top of the user list panel and move it
- Elements of the chat will move on some devices, and when screen size changes
- The MV Chat allows for custom avatars – when you register a peeps profile
- Your name in user list links to your peeps profile
- The MV Chat has an option for audio chat (with computer mic / speakers / headphones)
- MV Chat = Mobile (and) Video Chat – works with many mobile devices
Note – if you have an open pm tab with someone.. and they logout, and you keep the pm tab open, when they log back in, and you pm in that same tab, it won’t go through. You’ll need to close that pm tab and start a fresh one.
some get a kick or warning about ghost user – wtf?
So the mv system will worry that you are a ghost user in it’s terminology when..
Data speed, dropped packets. See data bytes have to travel from your computer, to our main web site, then to our chat room server system, then back to our main site then to your computer. If these data packets start to take too long to travel back and forth, the system thinks that maybe your lost connection / turned off your computer or router, and you did not properly logout. So it starts to wonder if you are really gone, but still logged in, and it may kick you out thinking you were just a “ghost” left in the rooms list, not actually still here.
We also welcome feedback about any issues anyone has and suggestions in the comments below.
Works with most mobile devices, but not all browsers
Some features will not be available, or will be in different places / menus when using different screen sizes.
Iphone test March 31 – no pms, some browsers on ipone cant change rooms.
The MV chat should work with the default “Stock” web browser on Android tablets and phones.. It fails to work with mobile firefox browser as of Dec 2015. I have heard it half way works with Apple Iphone / IPad / Ipod – but have not gotten a video screen grab to see the issue yet. If any will report iPhone / Ipad tests with different web browsers that info would be appreciated.
Words to induce emojis
Make emoji appear in the mv-chat with words surrounded by colons on each side, like
~thanks Keelie for researching these!
We rolled some updates for the MV Chat system about March 14th 2016 –
more updates to come! – please make comments below pointing out what we should add to this system.
Users mentioned these things are in the NC and not currently available in the MV system –
- buddy list and being able to have pm’s on for friends only.
- Permanent block lists
- offline PM’s
- being able to pm with friends and also see main
- the profile information
- the emotes… they are fun… animated, and not rude
Honestly I am not sure if any of these things are in this upgraded version yet. We’ll need to test it out to make a better comparison.